Wednesday 25 February 2015

Book review - 2015 #1

Jasper Fforde - Lost in a Good Book


I was given this book at Christmas, I had read the first one in this series and really wanted to read the rest so this was a very welcomed Christmas gift. I had another book to finish before I started this one that I started just before Christmas, so this is technically the first book I've started and finished in 2015.

First a little background to the story, the first in this series is "The Eyre Affair" and is an inventive adventure based around literature. This second adventure follows the  main character Thursday Next, who is a literary sleuth. In this adventure Next finds herself fighting to get the love of her life back, apprenticed to Miss Havisham from Dickens "Great Expectations, caught up in a deadly series of coincidences and is the only one who can save the earth.

There is never a dull moment in this novel and the pace of the story really keeps you going. I really like the main character Thursday Next and find it very easy to be sucked into the world which she lives in (which is an alternative England/world from our one.) the characters which are often from other novels are really convincing and entertaining. These books have a comic element running through them which I really enjoy, it also adds another level to some of the more tense dramatic scenes which I think is really clever. My only problem which is book is that it doesn't have an ending and now I really want to read the third book in the series to find out what happened! 

Jasper Fforde has a great imagination and a really great style of writing. The only thing I would say about this series is that they are not stand alone novels, you really need to read them in order. The story isn't overly confusing but they do follow on from each other and it is a lot easier to follow when you have read the previous novels.

Happy reading!

Don't forget to enter my giveaway which ends on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment